Give Mum the morning she deserves with breakfast in bed May 7, 2019
Mother’s Day is the one day of the year that we dedicate entirely to Mum’s.. and since they are the ones that usually spoil us, on this day they definitely deserve to be treated extra special. I’m sure we can all agree that there is no better way to start the day than by having breakfast in bed, because let’s face it… all the best gifts are edible and it’s hard to beat the comfort of your own bed!
We have put together a list of delicious and simple recipes to help you begin Mother’s day the way she deserves.
Prosciutto, Rocket and Fig Croissant
4 slices prosciutto
1 fig, sliced
1. Cut each croissant in half but don’t cut all the way through.
2. Add some rocket, then arrange two slices of prosciutto on each croissant.
3. Top with the slices of fig and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Avocado & Dukkah on Sourdough Toast
2 slices sourdough, toasted
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 tbs dukkah
1. Arrange the avocado slices nicely on the sourdough toast.
2. Sprinkle with the dukkah and drizzle over a little olive oil.
Buttermilk Pancakes with Fresh Berries & Creme Fraiche
75g (1/2 cup) self-raising flour
25g icing sugar
1/2 tbsp finely grated orange rind
1 egg, separated
160ml (3/4 cup) buttermilk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Creme fraiche, to serve
1. Combine flour, icing sugar and orange rind in a bowl.
2. Place egg yolks and buttermilk in a jug and whisk lightly to combine, then pour into flour mixture and whisk to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold through flour mixture and set aside.
4. Heat half the vegetable oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add ¼ cup of pancake mixture and cook in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat with remaining oil, butter and mixture.
To serve: Arrange the pancakes in stacks on serving plates. Top with a dollop of creme fraiche and arrange strawberries on top.